In anticipation of my first sleep update post in two years – I can’t believe I haven’t written about sleep in so long! – I’m reposting this article I wrote for Parent.ie last year. It’s all true. You know it.
Do you have perfect sleepers who clock in 12 uninterrupted hours a night? Or are your smallies still working out that “sleeping through the night” bit? Come on, admit it, there’s more of us out there than we think! Here are 9 ways you know your child is a crappy sleeper.
1. You still whisper to each other in the sitting room, even though the baby/toddler/small child is asleep upstairs.
2. You get annoyed at your dinner guests when they laugh too loud.
3. Musical beds are a nightly occurrence in your house and you don’t care.
4. You can’t remember the last time you watched a film from start to finish uninterrupted (like these beautiful people).
5. You know the perfect position to get the most sleep in in a single bed (usually with a Thomas the Tank Engine or Peppa Pig duvet).
6. If you sleep more than 4 hours in a row, you automatically wake up and wonder what’s wrong.
7. You get cranky like a mo’ fo’ if you miss your morning coffee.
8. You know how to go up the stairs like a ninja and always skip the squeaky step.
9. You never say no to a nap.
But you’ll miss this when it’s gone…
Stay tuned for my sleep update. People who loved this post will be initially horrified but I promise, it’s all going to be okay…